Tuesday, December 25, 2012

COMMENT: Piers Morgan Deportation











After the Connecticut Mass Shooting, and I'm sure such event is still quite vivid in each and every civilized thoughtful mind, there has been a growing discussion surrounding a dear American issue: Gun Control.
The latest ground breaking instalment regarding such, comes, to my knowledge, as sort of a "social downgrade".
For starters, meet Piers Morgan. He is a British journalist currently working in the United States. Before I go on with my argument, please listen to what Mr. Morgan has to say regarding this theme.

Piers Morgan - Gun Control Debate "You're An Unbelievably STUPID Man Aren't You!"

Now, despite agreeing with Mr. Morgan's point of view, it is not my place to judge which side from this heated debate is right or wrong. Truthfully, every human being's action is right by his own thoughts, meaning by a certain approach, no one is ever fully wrong, for their own opinion must count.
However, and this is what concerns me the most, a petition was created by the American people, in result of Mr. Morgan's debate, demanding for his deportation. Not only that, but such petition is indeed becoming quite sucessful, with over 64.000 signatures, as of this moment.

The petitions believes that Piers Morgan "engaged in a hostile attack against the U.S. Constitution by targeting the Second Amendment". Not only that, it is demanded that "Mr. Morgan be deported immediately for his effort to undermine the Bill of Rights and for exploiting his position as a national network television host to stage attacks against the rights of American citizens".

Here is my question: Isn't asking for Mr. Morgan to be deported an attack towards human rights and freedom of speech by itself?

Despite agreeing or not with his statement, the truth is that he's only broadcasting his oppinion. I understand why some americans would feel attacked by his words, it is inside the U.S. culture and mind set the use of weaponry as a mean of protection. Yet, I can't help but think that to ask for his deportation is more of a crime as the one he "commited".

As an end note, I believe respect and freedom shall be above everything else. By my comment I only which to spread communication and speech, as well as regarding that despite country, culture or religion, our words are as valid as the person next to you.

I truthfully would appreciate to read your oppinion towards such topic. Please feel free to use your word, and develop such discussion to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment